南京夜网|南京桑拿网|江苏夜网论坛

Powered by Cnjae!

   Jul 05

Man found dead at the Crown Metropol hotel with throat slashed

Homicide squad detectives are investigating. Photo: Steve LillebuenCasino crime paints disturbing pictureBrawl at Club 23 sends man to hospital
Nanjing Night Net

The brutal killing of a man at one of Crown Melbourne’s luxury hotels has once again put a spotlight on violent crime at the sprawling complex, despite its high level of security.

The man, believed to be in his 30s, had been involved in an argument inside an eighth-floor suite at Crown Metropol before he died in the room. His throat had been slashed, police said.

A manhunt on Sunday focused on finding at least two people who fled the hotel while Crown went into lockdown following the 2.30am attack.

Security guards monitored entrances, elevators, and appeared to be taking notes on journalists who arrived at the scene.

A Crown spokeswoman, however, refused to comment and asked for all questions to be sent via email to the company’s PR team. A series of emailed questions were then not returned.

The incident came only weeks after a 10-person brawl erupted inside Crown’s exclusive Club 23 nightclub and a Fairfax Media investigation revealed how violent crimes occur every three days on average at the complex.

Hotel guests were startled by what happened, with some wondering if they should cancel their bookings.

“It’s kind of scary that this could just happen so close,” said James Green, who had been staying in a room a few doors down from the where the man died.

Fellow hotel guest Erin Barry said: “It’s crazy. You don’t expect something like this to happen. It’s such a big establishment, there’s security everywhere, security cameras everywhere.”

Her friend Liz Meletiou said they are now reconsidering their plans after booking the room for several nights.

“It feels like I don’t want to stay here any more,” she said. “I just want to get out.”

Police remained tight-lipped about the incident too, with detectives declining to reveal if a weapon had been found or any details about the victim, his movements and who he was arguing with – including whether it was a man or a woman.

Homicide Detective Sergeant Nathan Favre would only say a group of people had been inside the hotel room when the man was attacked.

One of them has been tracked down and given a statement, he said, but others remain at large.

“There are people we believe can assist us with this investigation, people that were present in the hotel room, and we’re trying to make contact with those people at the moment,” he said.

No arrests have been made. While the motive for attack remains unclear, police ruled out organised crime, gang, drugs or family violence and said it was not a random attack.

The person who booked the hotel room is known to police, though detectives would not say if that person was the man who died.

Police are now examining Crown’s extensive network of CCTV footage.

“Staff at the venue have been co-operating and been excellent,” said Detective Sergeant Favre. “We couldn’t ask for more as far as their assistance.” 

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.